If you’re interested in making these delights then read on.
To make the strawberry sauce, all you will need is 15 strawberries and two table spoons of soft brown sugar.
For the cupcakes, you’ll need the following ingredients; half a table spoon of vanilla bean paste or 3 drops of vanilla essence, half a table spoon of baking powder, 125g of golden caster sugar, 125g of self raising flower, 125g margarine, 2 eggs at room temperature and optional red food colouring.
For the buttercream you’ll need, 100g butter, one tablespoon of vanilla essence and 220g icing sugar.
To decorate the cupcakes, you’ll need some extra strawberries and 1 or 2 meringues, crumbled.
1. Before we begin, preheat the oven to gas 3/140C fan/160C.
2. Start by making the strawberry sauce, by removing the stalks and slicing the strawberries into about 6 pieces each. Then make the strawberries slushy by placing them in a saucepan with the sugar and simmering over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
3. Use a masher to squash the strawberries gently and simmer with the lid off for another 2 minutes.
4. To remove all the pips and pulp, run the sauce through a sieve and leave to cool.
5. For the cupcakes, lay out the cupcake cases. If you are using paper cases, place them in a bun tin to hold their shapes or if you are using silicon ones just lay them on a flat baking tray.
6. Whisk the sugar in with the eggs for at least 4 minutes, an electric hand whisk would be best, and beat air into the mixture so it fluffs up.
7. Sieve in the flour and baking powder and add bits of butter, bit by bit, whisking the mixture each time to ensure a smooth texture. Once fully mixed, mix in the vanilla essence or paste.
8. Divide the mixture evenly into bowls. Mix 4 tablespoons of strawberry sauce into one bowl and if necessary, add red food colouring to make the batter’s colour look stronger.
9. Next, take a spoonful of the white batter and spoon into the middle. Gently make a well with the base of a spoon in the middle. Repeat with pink mixture and then fill the cupcake cases about two thirds full.
10. For about 15-20 minutes, put the cupcakes into the oven until the tops have got some colour and they are feeling spongy.
11. Place them on a cooling rack once out of the oven, to cool down.
12. To make the buttercream, use the electric hand mixer to cream the butter on its own for a couple of minutes. Next add the vanilla essence and beat until fluffy and light.
13. Make a cupcake swirl, but after you have scooped the buttercream on, to gently drip on the strawberry sauce so that it makes a ripple in buttercream.
14. For the decoration, sprinkle the crumbled meringue over the top of the cupcakes and trim the cupcakes with a strawberry.
Cupcakes are pretty to look at, you won’t need to get restaurant insurance quotes to create them as they are simple to make in the comfort of your own home! Cupcakes are also perfect for sharing, so try not to eat them all at once!