Compare Motorhome Insurance

  • Compare quotes, save time and money
  • All motorhome and campervan models covered
  • European cover available
  • Breakdown cover
Get Quotes
See More

We Partner With

staveley head logo
scenic logo
advance insurance logo
airsports-insurance bureau logo
2gether-insurance logo
mercury insurance brokers

What does QuoteSearcher do for you?

At QuoteSearcher, we have a lot of experience in dealing with motorhome insurance, and the brokers that offer such policies. We know that insuring a motorhome is integral, which is why we aim to take as much of the legwork from you as possible.

We ask for a few bits of information, which we then take directly to our wide-ranging panel of brokers. They will get in touch with you as quickly as possible to provide you with a competitive quote.

Policy Features

Some of the features unique to Motorhome insurance are listed below. Not all of them are standard, and may need to be added as an additional feature.

    • Accidental damage
    • Awnings and generators
    • Breakdown cover
    • Contents cover
    • EU and Worldwide cover
    • Gas and explosion cover
    • Legal expenses
    • Lock and keys cover – up to £500
    • Motorhome equipment cover
    • Personal accident cover
    • Recovery and redelivery
    • Storm and flood damage
    • Vandalism and malicious damage
    • Windscreen and glass cover

Policy Exclusions

Most common exclusions on a motorhome insurance policy are:

  • Mechanical and electrical breakdown
  • Mildew
  • Storm damage
  • Trade, business or professional use
  • Unforced entry – intrusion without using force because a door or window was left unlocked
  • Use as a permanent residence
  • Valuables – this includes items such as jewellery and electronics
  • Vermin infestations or damage
  • Wear and tear
window of motorhome with a view on a lake
motorhome parking lot next to mountains

Types of Motorhome

Motorhomes normally fall into one of the following categories:

  • A-class
  • American RV
  • Campervan
  • Coachbuilt or overcab
  • Compact
  • Low profile
  • Micro
  • Van conversion

As with any type of vehicle insurance, there are 3 levels of cover available: Fully comprehensive, Third party only, and Third party, fire and theft


    • What different types of motorhome are there?
      There are a number of different types of motorhome, such as the following: A-Class, Coachbuilt, Demountable, and Van Conversion. When applying for a motorhome insurance quote, the price you will pay will very much depend on what particular type of motorhome you own.
    • With motorhome insurance, will I be covered to drive any other motorhomes or private vehicles?
      Most motorhome insurance brokers will let you drive any other motorhome or private vehicle, but with these other vehicles you will only be covered third party. You must also have the permission of the owner whose motorhome or private vehicle it is.
    • Will I be covered to tow a trailer?
      Most insurers will allow you to tow a trailer with third party motorhome insurance. However, if you know in advance that you will need to tow a trailer, then it will be worth enquiring with the particular insurance broker as to whether this is okay or not.
    • What is the speed limit for a motorhome?
      If your vehicle does not exceed 3050kg then the speed limit, without a trailer, is the same as any normal vehicle across all carriageways. If you are towing a trailer then you are limited to 50mph on a single carriageway, and 60mph on a dual carriageway and 60mph on a motorway. If your vehicle exceeds 3050kg, but does not exceed 12 metres in length, you are limited to 50mph on a single carriageway with, or without a trailer, and 60mph on a dual carriageway, with or without a trailer. On a motorway with a trailer the limit is 60mph. Without a trailer on a motorway the limit is 70mph. If your vehicle weighs over 3050kg, and does exceed 12 metres in length, then you will be limited to 50mph on single carriageways, and 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways, with or without a trailer. The weight and size of your vehicle will affect the price of your motorhome insurance quote. It is essential however that you tell the insurer the truth about the size of your motorhome.
    • What road tax should I be paying?
      If your motorhome weighs less than 3500kg then it should be taxed in the PLG category. If it weighs more than 3500kg, then it should be taxed in the PHGV category. The weight of your vehicle may well affect the amount you will need to pay for your motorhome insurance policy.
    • Will I be able to drive a motorhome with my normal driving licence?
      If your licence does not include category C1, you will not be allowed to drive a motorhome that exceeds 3.5 tonnes. If you passed your driving test before 1st January 1997 then your licence will automtically include C1, otherwise you will have to take the required test. If your motorhome exceeds 7.5 tonnes, you will need a category C licence (HGV licence). When applying for a motorhome insurance quote you may need to declare details, such as the weight, of your motorhome.
    • Where are motorhomes most at risk from theft or damage?
      55% of claims were made as a result of accidental damage. 18% of claims were made as a result of damages caused by a storm. 13% of claims were made as a result of theft. 7% of claims were made as a result of malicious damage. 5% of claims were made as a result of fire or flood. 2% of claims were a result of other reasons.
    • What details do I need to provide?
      As motorhomes can vary so much, your insurer will ask you for quite a lot of information about you and your motorhome. These can include: Make and Model; Number of bedrooms/berths; Value of your motorhome; Dimensions; Age; Mileage; How you use it; Automatic or manual; Storage location details; Security levels for residence or storage location; If it is your permanent residence; and Details of any modifications or accessories. Personal details such as your driving history, insurance history, whether you have completed any advanced driving courses and if you are a member of a motorhome club may also be asked.
    • Why can I not just take out a normal private car policy?
      A motorhome policy will cover you for personal belongings that far exceed the value of a normal car insurance policy for personal belongings. This will of course be necessary. Car policies also do not have gas and explosion cover, whereas motorhome insurance does.

My insurance is now completely sorted thanks to QuoteSearcher. After visiting their site I received some superb quotes and was insured more or less instantly!

Alison McNaughton - Cornwall

QuoteSearcher’s partners provided me with excellent cover for my insurance. I ended up saving a £100 on my previous years premium so I will be definitely coming back to QuoteSearcher next year!

Peter Moore – Basingstoke, Surrey

Get in touch
Contact Us

QuoteSearcher Limited is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our FCA registration number is 504796. This can also be checked by visiting

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is an agency for arbitrating on unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. Full details of the FOS can be found on its website at

Our company registration number is 05387593 with our registered office at 8 Waldegrave Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 8GT.